Thursday, October 02, 2008

Don't Smile!

As strange as it may sound, don't smile my son! For when you start smiling, you will no longer be my smileless newborn, so fresh from within me. Don't stop needing your mitten cuff onsies that keep you from scratching your face. Keep your little fingers hidden so I can have the joy of uncovering them whenever I choose, like little kissable presents. My sweet little man, don't stop smelling like a newborn, that intoxicating smell on your head that doesn't wash off with lavander shampoo. Change and grow you must, I know, but not too fast please, not too fast! Sing your milky breath into my nose as I dance your woes away. Mama is here, snuggle in close, let's push pause, clocks be gone!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ohh, you make me want to have a newborn! :)

Maryann said...

*sniff* such beautiful words....
Oh, the poetry that comes straight out of motherhood, I need a kleenex
Loves to you all!

Sheri said...

Oh Sarah, this post brought tears to my eyes... our baby boy, Levi, is now 7 weeks old and the time is going by way to fast. You words spelled out just how I feel.

And, what a beautiful picture of you and baby Sawyer!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh... beautiful... I'm sure this is exactly how I'm going to feel holding Baby Trece. I can't believe this is going to be my last newborn!!