Thursday, May 03, 2007

My "Worth"

I came accross this news article this morning. Although I consider myself completely secure in the value of my chosen profession as fulltime homemaker, this was certainly a self-esteem boost!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released on Wednesday.

This reflected a 3 percent raise from last year's $134,121, according to Salary.com Inc, Waltham, Massachusetts-based compensation experts.

The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother's work were housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.

A mother who holds full-time job outside the home would earn an additional $85,939 for the work she does at home, Salary.com.

Last year she would have earned $85,876 for her at-home work, it said.

Salary.com compiled the online responses of 26,000 stay-at-home mothers and 14,000 mothers who also work outside the home.

(Reporting by Ellen Wulfhorst)

3 comments:

Amy... said...

Isn't that amazing? I totally believe it! Sometimes it feels as though the work is never done...

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Excellent! When may I expect my paycheck? It should be a doozy after eight years! :)
Really, though, and not to sound cliche, but they make it so worth it, yes?

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

I tagged you...
http://mysweetlittlefamily.blogspot.com